Today’s Bloglove: Smart is Sexy
Men don’t make passes at girls who wear glasses. Men are attracted to sexy women–not smart women. We’ve heard these myths for decades, and in a great post on her blog First Person Singular, Wendy Braitman cites my research, asking whether it’s better to be smart or sexy.
While media headlines (and most academic theories) predict that men will be drawn to docile and subordinate women while it is women who will ﬂock to high-powered men, it turns out that conventional wisdom isn’t quite right.
A 2005 article in the American Journal of Sociology reports that high-status and powerful women are rated as more attractive. Based on a study of interpersonal relationships in 60 different communities nationwide, author John Levi Martin concludes that women in positions of power are sexier to men than are more subordinate women. How’s that for some good cocktail party conversation?
Smart and successful is sexy! Spread the word.
1 Comment »
- Come Visit Me at http://www.christinewhelan.com/blog
- Las Vegas Quickie? No Problem…
- In the news
- Top Valentine’s Tips
- Can Love Make You Rich?
- Thowing Men Off the Scent
- MacFreedom: A Must-Have for Every Writer
- Are You A Little Bit Married?
- Thank Your Wives, You Lucky Bastards!
- 2010: The Year of The Happiness Project
- Single on New Year’s? You’re Not Alone
- Top 10 Feelings Worldwide: We Feel Fine